Haleakala, Upcountry, Iao — Roberts Hawaii
Magical journey above the clouds on Mount Haleakala, and the beauty of Iao Valley.
Duration: 8.5 hours
Availability: Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays
Time: 6:15–7:30 a.m. thru 5:00 p.m.
The perfect slice of Maui awaits you on this scenic tour of The Valley Isle’s many natural and historical wonders. It’s a comprehensive taste of the best that Maui has to offer, and a window into why this beloved island is one of the world’s most popular visitor destinations. You’ll visit the most sacred and famous of the island’s sites, climb Haleakala volcano, aptly named “House of the Sun” to the very summit, and picnic in the charming lavender fields of the rural upcountry. You’ll take in history firsthand, visiting sites of monumental battles in Hawaiian history, exploring the vibrant natural paradises that exist in the island’s nooks and valleys, and see some of the stunning, unique wildlife that calls this gorgeous tropical space home. Through it all, our guides will give you an invaluable glimpse into the cultural traditions of the ancient Native Hawaiians, their military and peacetime practices, stories of royalty, the mechanisms of their ingenious farm and fishing methods, and their deeply meaningful relationship with, and respect for, the land.
(* denotes stops made)
- Café O’Lei* – Enjoy an all you can eat Continental Breakfast prior to your journey to Haleakala.
- Haleakala Summit and National Park* – A visit to the peak of a volcano at Haleakala National Park, where unbelievable vistas and ethereal landscapes make it an unforgettable experience.
- Lavender Café and Farm* – A stop at a lavender farm and cafe in Kula, which boasts an upcountry classic picnic and is included with this tour. Enjoy your lunch with pretty, meandering paths among hills that look down on Maui’s sweeping coastlines.
- Iao Valley State Park* – A stop at Iao Valley state park, now a botanical garden, site of where the iconic King Kamehameha, the unifier of the Hawaiian Islands, once did battle with Maui forces.
- Iao Needle* – The majestic Iao Needle, a natural land formation that towers above the rainforest floor.
- Haleakala Ranch Overlook – View rolling green hills of a prominent family-owned ranch that believes in “Keeping the Country in Upcountry.”
- Paniolo Town of Makawao – Many colorful country stores line the streets in this Hawaiian Cowboy part of town.
Know before you go:
We’ll pick you up! Transportation to and from your hotel is complimentary.
Your tour will be operated by the friendly, knowledgeable experts at Valley Isle Excursions, which is under contract with the U.S. Federal Government and administered by the U.S. National Park Service. Drivers are first aid and CPR certified.
It gets very, very cold at the summit, and can be very windy. Come prepared with warm clothing and layers to pile on once you’re at the top. We recommend a hat and even some gloves, which will keep your hands toasty and free for photo-taking.
The air is thinner, with reduced oxygen levels, at the peak of Haleakala, so our tour vehicles come equipped with an oxygen generator. However, guests with respiratory conditions or expectant mothers should exercise caution and consult with a doctor before coming on the trip.
Please note that in some cases, weather and a host of other unpredictable factors may result in schedule and timing changes.
Gluten-free and vegan dining options are available! Please inform us at least 72 hours before departure by including a note in the “Special Request” box during online checkout.
- Tour is not for people with heart or respiratory conditions.
- Jackets highly recommended as the weather is cold at Haleakala Crater.
- Walking shoes, long pants required.
- Due to limited availability, wheelchair-accessible vehicles may not be available for your tour. Please check prior to booking and make reservations at least four days in advance.
- Valley Isle Excursions makes all reasonable attempts to accommodate the needs of disabled travelers.