Mauna Kea Summit & Stars Adventure - Hawaii Forest & Trail
A journey from sea level to 14,000-ft. summit of Mauna Kea to enjoy the Hawaiian night sky.
Duration: 7–8 hours
Availability: Mondays thru Saturdays; closed Sundays
Time: 1:55–2:10 p.m. thru 10:00 p.m.
Our journey from sea level to the nearly 14,000 foot summit of Mauna Kea reveals the wonders and world-class clarity of the Hawaiian night sky.
Learn about Hawaiian stars navigation, view inspiring sunset at the top of Mauna Kea. Sip hot chocolate during your private star show with a telescope. Picnic dinner (included), and learn about Hawaiian star navigation.
- Enjoy a warm picnic dinner at our private location and learn about Hawaiian star navigation
- Your guide will share historic accounts of early travelers through the mountain lands
- Delight in the awe-inspiring sunset at the top of Maunakea, the highest point in the Pacific
- As the sun slips over the horizon we’ll descend to a lower elevation at 9,000 ft
- Sip hot chocolate during your private starshow with our 11” Celestron telescope
- Please read restrictions and FAQ carefully before booking this experience
Included: Picnic style dinner, assorted teas, hot chocolate, and dessert. Dinner options include - Beef Stew OR Vegan Chili.
Gear provided: We provide warm wear including, hooded parkas and gloves.
* Wear closed-toe shoes, long pants, and a sweatshirt or sweater.
Afternoon trips depart daily from Hawaii Forest & Trail in Kona, Queen’s Marketplace in Waikoloa Beach Resort, and Lava Java located in the Waikoloa Village Shopping Center. 7–8 hours round trip.
- Weather changes can occur quickly and the access road to the summit can close without warning, therefore we cannot guarantee access to the summit or favorable conditions.
- Guests should be able to walk on uneven or rocky terrain.
- The temperature can dip below freezing when at high elevation on the mountain.
- We sometimes encounter cool, wet or muddy conditions.
- Please note that the Maunakea Visitor station is currently closed for renovations.
- Due to the high altitude this tour is not advised for those with respiratory, circulatory or heart conditions, pregnancy or poor health.
- If you plan to scuba dive, do not plan to go to the summit within 24 hours after you dive due to the altitude.
- No children under 13.
- Other tour restrictions may apply.